Katie works with administrators and school districts to match her instruction to their specific goals. When everyone works together, teachers are supported as they build classroom for 21st century learning. Katie carefully crafts her sessions to the needs of her audience, whether they're teachers or administrators, and offers half or full day sessions. Consider these popular professional development topics:
- How does CCSS promote the development of literacy skills and content knowledge?
- Reading for Content Knowledge and Understanding: A Guide for all Content Area Teachers
- Writing Effective Arguments (featuring the Think CERCA model)
- Creating Rich Reading Environments for Teenagers in all Content Areas
- Developing Common Sense Reflective and Formative Assessment
- Technology for Developing Literacy Skills
- Using Language for All Purposes: Speaking, Listening, Academic Vocabulary and Grammar
- Improv in the Classroom: Developing Literacy Skills and Content Knowledge
Improv in the Classroom
Teachers, Grades K-8
Based on Katie’s and Mary Scrugg’s book, The Second City Guide to Improv in the Classroom: Using Improvisation to Teach Skills and Boost Learning. Most people know The Second City as an innovative school for improvisation that has turned out leading talents such as Alan Arkin, Bill Murray, Stephen Colbert, and Tina Fey. This groundbreaking company has also trained thousands of educators and students through its Improvisation for Creative Pedagogy program, which uses improv exercises to teach a wide variety of content areas and boost skills that are crucial for student learning: listening, teamwork, communication, idea-generation, vocabulary, and more.
(Half or full day)
Creating Powerful Professional Learning Communities to Transform Schools
Administrators, Grades K-12
In this session administrators discover how to create positive professional learning communities in their schools. Katie leads participants as they explore and develop powerful practices that foster successful pedagogy.